Sunday 31 May 2015

Save Water, Save Life


The heat is intense and my lips have parched
Dry wind engulfs as I walk ahead.
The green is perishing and the rivers seek mercy..”

May and June seems like the busiest month of my life,  deadlines to finish up MBA assignments, proceeding with exams of my third semester, targets and deadlines in office, some important family functions to attend along with that frequent  visits to my doctor, laboratories, is making me insane.

With all these activities going on in my life, leaving no time for me to sit and relax, I have been doing all possible effort to be productive most of the time. And in my endeavor to save every second of my life, I have been losing and wasting something very precious, irreparable and lifesaving. This is my self-introspection, analysis of my not so good and unproductive activities. Please read ahead.

Waking up hurriedly in morning and brushing my teeth, I had left the tap open; I could have used water in a mug.

Adding to my woes, the maid got sick with flu, had to give her a week’s leave. Washing the utensils early morning, in my habitual hurriedness I spilled extra water all over the slab and floor. Warning my maid always to be cautions with water, I used much more than required quantities of water.

Getting ready for the office I had left the tap open to fill up my bucket and went to iron my shirt and as I came back running, the bucket was overflowing with water.
Watering the plant in my terrace I overfilled the pots, not checking how much water they need.
I usually sit in my room with my laptop, television, tube light, fan, A.C in the power on mode and sometimes even leave the room without switching them off, though not always but I have noticed myself doing this last week.

These pointers make me think and re think – Am I a responsible citizen?  Am I practicing myself the good things that I preach?  The answer is ‘NO’. But I am a believer, with hopes, it’s never too late. But if we don’t realize and act now it’s actually going to be too late. At a very fast speed we are losing something most important and precious. i.e. Water. Many act of our day to day life contribute to this destruction. We work hard day and night all our life, in the end we shall leave behind a plush apartment with latest technology for our kids, grandkids, but will survival be possible for them with no water to drink?

Many places around the globe have started facing acute water shortage, and if we are fortunate enough to get sufficient water for our use, we should feel blessed and preserve, protect this most needed resource.

www.firstpost.com

www.slideshare.net


"Let’s unite, let’s pledge to keep our habits nature friendly

Let’s step up to gift our coming generation A Clean and A Green city

#watercrisis
#waterscarcity
#savewater

(Image on top (source)- www.wateraid.org/where-we-work/page/bangladesh,)

12 comments:

  1. The problem is genuine and scary too.But I have seen in your city many rig the water meters while all want the tariff to be reduced or made insignificant.The citizens use water with reckless abandon.
    I appreciate your concern about growing scarcity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot.
      situation is indeed scary. And people are least concerned.

      Delete
  2. I would say... self-awareness is half the battle won! :) happy to see your concern... in fact your post has helped us become more aware of our recklessness too! thanks Swati... love and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archana.
      Everyone should realize this situation, and play their part right.
      Love and hugs dear.

      Delete
  3. This is one of the very few insightful post covering a grave concern. I am happy that you pick this very important topic and help spreading awareness about Rain Water Harvesting. Keep writing more such post Swati. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanka a lot for reading here.
      It is indeed a very important topic, water is life, we all need to realize the seriousness.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see a concerned post Swati. I guess we all do waste water in our own ways. At some level,maybe it is just that we treat it as a continuous resource. A little consciousness and responsibility sure can go a long way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Vinay.
      We all need to be a little more responsible.

      Delete
  5. Amazing message delivered subtly.

    I always feel bad when my colleagues leave the tap open in the washroom while they fetch the paper towel to turn it off with that...as if they are super clean otherwise. Some just keep it open while they brush, so they don't have to go through the hassle of turning it on and off a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You very much Alok.
      These are basic things in life, little changes in routine task can do wonders.
      :-)

      Delete
  6. Not many take note on such things, specially when they are the ones doing it. We must conserve every bit of energy and resource, and be a responsible citizen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Saru. :-)
      Thanks for coming here.

      Delete