Tuesday 5 April 2016

Menstruation and the belief



A lot has been written and talked about menstruation, the taboos, the stigma and the problems attached to it. Of course it’s nothing new or private that cannot be discussed in public but I still feel some part of it is personal and intimate to the women.  I don’t find it wise to show off photographs with menstrual blood stained pants in the social media. 

I see menstruation in a very different light. For me it is a blessing. It is my natural phenomenon. It is a spiritual and calming affair. It is the process that gives life and energy.  And for nothing I would bargain this grace with men. I am happy with my body and its happening.

I agree there are lots of unnecessary restriction and disgrace attached to the menstrual cycle. And this never ending dispute is running down in families between young and old generation.  What causes this disagreement is lack of knowledge and awareness. When in teenage I could never find a valid reason for not entering temples, avoiding curd and pickles during ‘those days of the month’.  And it can make any one rebellious when during the most important functioning of your body you are being called ‘impure’, ‘dirty’ or ‘untouchable’. 

We tend to follow customs and traditions taught to us by our elders without a proper understanding and reasoning and ultimately we re- model and re - frame them as per our convenience and keep passing them on to our generations. Using word like “impure” for menstruating women is very misguiding and misleading. The facts are very different, practices which are being done on the pretext of being ‘dirty’ and ‘impure’ are actually ancient wisdom to protect and preserve the women from any harm.

Related to this you will find some fascinating read here:




There is no such thing as menstrual rights or menstrual freedom, fighting unnecessary for it don’t make you liberal. Unearthing taboos and getting into the right path with right knowledge is all that is really required. Some things are not about discrimination its discretion.

Running campaign and agitation for whether females should be allowed to pray inside a particular temple is purposeless, step ahead why not run a crusade to feed the many deprived and needy standing outside the temple. We need to work on the right human cause not the political cause.

Let us be true and hardcore feminist and fight for the need for toilets, importance of education, preventing trafficking, slavery, female infanticide, maternal deaths and dowry.  


 (I might be sounding strange and many won’t agree with the part of content in this post. The views expressed here are no sort of endorsement and are completely my personal.)

Wish to know your views and beliefs in the comment section below.

12 comments:

  1. The taboos came from ignorance. Education is the remedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly education is the key to all taboos and stigma.

      Delete
  2. I think the whole concept of us being impure at that time of the month needs to go away. Also, making sanitary napkins and tampons more accessible to the greater public so that we actually do feel clean during that time will be really useful! Maybe a campaign for that would serve us better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awareness and accessibility will bring in lots of change.
      Thanks Rochni. :-)

      Delete
  3. I…love what you've written here. This is how I felt when I was menstruating. Even though it was often painful for a couple of days……I wouldn't have swapped the immense pleasure and spirituality I derived from this holy monthly experience.

    And, I was told virtually nothing regarding periods. My mother didn't have the capacity or vision to cope with them at all. In fact she was in complete and utter denial when I started menstruating at the age of ten and a half. She went as far as to blame me for being too precocious and wordly. She'd had a very religious upbringing.

    It took me a long while, about six months to tell her. I'm not sure. I think my brother discovered blood in the toilet, and because he is younger than me - he assumed that I'd injured myself in some inconceivable way. I was forced to use balled up toilet roll and even newspaper. I even went as far as hiding the used sanitary napkins in between the gaps between the water heater in the boiler cupboard, so that I could re-use them. Because I was too embarrassed to ask her to buy them - she simply didn't offer for I can't remember how long. I also would steal my older sisters too. I was left with very little choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :-)
    Such is the tale of many girls everywhere.
    Awareness, education will help a lot in addressing such issues.
    Shying away will create problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intresting topic, nice post.

    Best Dentist in Vijayanagar Bangalore,Contact us best dentist in vijayanagar bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this nice article.
    For best astrology services contact us Vashikaran Astrologer in Hebbal


    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for providing this information. It's very helpful.
    Visit Best Astrologer In Umm al-Quwain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing informative Blog.
    Vashikaran Astrologer in Vijayanagar provides best results with 99% unique solutions.

    ReplyDelete