Thursday 5 March 2015

Faith - My Look up story



“Hum honge kamyab, hum honge kamyab ek din, hmmm maan main hai vishwas,  pura hai vishwas hum honge kamyab ek din….”    Heard my father humming this beautiful song as the nurse was preparing him for an operation when I entered the room no. 5 of Vidya Sagar Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (VIMHANS), New Delhi. 

It was the year 1996 when sudden darkness entered our lives, paralyzing our thoughts, dwelling inside us deep pessimism, my father experienced severe bouts of seizures. World came to an abrupt end for my entire family, helplessly we ran from one doctor to another, with no hopes of recovery. We were in Bareilly, (a city in Utter Pradesh), searching desperately for a good medical help. Days, weeks and months passed on with continuous episodes of increased severity to sometimes mildness in the seizures. Almost three months passed with no significant improvement so without wasting time any further we rushed him to Delhi.

After tremendous consultations and research destiny finally brought us to VIMHANS. It was our ray of hope. The doctor treating my father became our God in disguise. He gave us tremendous courage to cope with it, as father got seriously ill and had to be immediately operated upon. He had a severe blockage in an important artery of Brain, if not operated it could lead to hemorrhages and finally coma.

We prayed, instilled in us hope and faith. In this entire episode doctor Dr A K  Banerje supported us on a spiritual level. He became our guardian and angel in disguise. As well as my father’s optimism helped us sail this storm with calmness.
On the scheduled day of his operation as I entered the room I hugged him tight, he was slightly sedated as medicines were a bit hard. He gave us hope, hummed his favorite song We shall overcome, Hum Honge Kamyab, Hum Honge Kanyab Ek Din….”
He kissed my forehead and the team of doctors took him to the operation theater. With faith on the medical team, blessing of the almighty and optimism transferred on me by my father I went to the waiting room. Trying my best to care for my mother and my siblings, I kept humming Hum Honge Kamyab..”  Not for a single moment any negative thought crossed my mind, I was full of positivity. I was full of hope. 

The operation lasted for almost eight hours. At around 9 pm we got a call from the doctor at the waiting room and he said – “The operation is successful”. Tears flooded my eyes again, I looked up at the sky thanked God for blessing us. Thanked the doctors. My mother went to the ICU  to meet papa, he said nothing, just smiled and hummed "Hum honge kamyab …” Mother kissed his bandaged forehead.

Never be scared of hard times, never let hope and faith leave your heart. Always remember courage, gratitude and a strong will power can help overcome any causality  . A bad time never lasts forever.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful story. Hum honge kamyaab indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post, such pple deserve to called doctors in the real sense of the word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ankita for visiting here and for your generous comment.

      Delete